Loving Fresh Express’ 30 Day Salad Swap
the sponsor of the Moms MeetSM program, May Media GroupLLC, who
received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet SM blogger, I
agreed to use this product and post my opinion on my blog. My opinions
do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC. or the
manufacturer of the product.
Since I am always running somewhere and just about always late to get there – my snacks and meals often are composed of items that are quick to grab and/or put together. I prefer healthy options but have resorted to my fair share of less healthy options.
One of the healthiest options I choose and love are Fresh Express Salad Mixes. There are so many benefits to these pre-made salads and the greatest of which is the large variety. I never have to stick with the same old, same old…
Fresh Express mixes are already washed, rinsed and dried – totally ready to eat. The do also sell salad kits – which I often opt for. The salads are sealed in patented “Keep-Crisp®” breathable bags for freshness without preservatives. These mixes can vary in price, but typically cost between $2-$4 per bag.
Fresh Express has announced their new 30 Day Salad Swap challenge. When you feel like eating foods high in calories, simply swap your meal for a salad that re-creates that
food’s flavor. This swap cuts down on calories! You can also sign up for FREE at www.saladswap.com and you
can earn coupons for more salad! When you register, you gain access to their app that is completely compatible and ready for
use with any computer, tablet or smart phone. There is an extensive library of recipes, meal tracking etc…
For the salad swap at my party I chose the Spring Mix with Grilled Cheese Croutons Salad. I did make substitutions – I used real tomatoes instead of Sun Dried. Not everyone in the party likes sun dried tomatoes. And I used lite whole wheat bread instead of sprouted bread.
This is what the recipe looks like:
Grilled Cheese: 730 Calories OR Spring Mix with Grilled Cheese Croutons: 230 Calories
1 bag Fresh Express Spring Mix
4 slices sprouted-whole grain bread (you can also use whole wheat bread)
4 slices (4 oz) of reduced-fat cheddar
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in extra virgin olive oil, drained and rinsed, chopped
spray butter (2 second spray)
1/3 cup your favorite lite balsamic vinaigrette
For the croutons:
1. Place two slices of cheese on a slice of bread. Top cheese with another slice of bread to form a sandwich. Repeat to form another sandwich.
2. Then, spray both outer slices with spray butter.
3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add sandwich. Cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes, and then flip and cook another 3-5 minutes.
4. When finished, carefully place the grilled cheese on a cutting board and let it rest for approximately 5 minutes.
5. Then, carefully cut off the crust. Discard the crust and cut the grilled cheese into large dices (the size of a crouton).
1. Place greens and sundried tomatoes in a bowl.
2. Toss with vinaigrette.
3. When dressing is fully incorporated, portion into 4 salad bowls. Top each salad with grilled cheese croutons.