Considering Moving to Australia – Read This First!
This is a sponsored post
Moving to another Country is no easy task and should not be a decision made on a whim. When considering moving to Australia there are a few things you need to take into consideration.
1. You can’t just book a flight and be on your merry way to living in Australia. You will need a passport and a visa, including a work visa. These all take time to process and are approved.
2. Do you want to bring your furry child? There are some rules. First you will need to obtain an import permit prior to bringing your pet to Australia through The Department Agriculture. Your pet will then need to be quarantined for 10 days before you can be reunited.
3. Check with customs before attempting to ship your things. Australia has some tight quarantine laws around what can enter and exit the country.
4. The Government is completely different. Do your research and understand all the rules and regulations before buying your plane ticket. The last thing you want to do is get yourself in trouble because you didn’t take the time to learn about where you are moving. This statement holds true with the customs as well. You can start HERE.
Shocking Things I Never Knew About Australia
1. In 1832, 300 female convicts mooned the governor of Tasmania. It was said that in a “rare moment of collusion with the Convict women, the ladies in the Governor’s party could not control their laughter.”
2. The Great Barrier Reef is the planet’s largest living structure.
3. Australia is as wide as the distance between London to Moscow.
4. In NSW, there is a coal fire beneath the ground, which has been burning for 5,500 years.
Either way before you move you must get everything in order otherwise you will be quite overwhelmed at the last moment. Where do you start?
- Sort and Purge – Do everything you can do to make sure you aren’t moving things unnecessarily. Don’t move it just to throw it out once you get to your new location.
- Research – Does it make more sense to hire a moving company or do it yourself. In the case of moving huge distances like to Australia – definitely put your research energies into finding the best and least expensive movers to best meet your needs.
- Create a Moving Binder – Track everything such as receipts and log everything you are packing.
- Organize School Records – If you have children this is critical. They will need to be enrolled in school at their new destination and you don’t want it to be weeks later when you finally find their records.
- Order Supplies – Order plenty of supplies to make the move as stressless as possible.
- Use It Or Lose It – If you have freezers full of “stuff” – use it. No one wants to spend a great deal of time, effort and money moving food items.
- Take Measurements Of Your New Location – Moving furniture that will not fit into the house is not helpful.
- Separate Valuables
- Post Office Change of Address
- Notify – Let everyone know that is important about your upcoming move such as banks, creditors, work, utilities etc…
- Forward Medical Records – Find a new medical provider(s) and have all medical records forwarded directly.
There are more things to take care of as you draw closer to the actual moving date but these are the items to take care of in the weeks heading up to the big day….