You would think the English language would come up with a better word for “watching what you eat” than throwing a “T” on the end of DIE. No wonder people hate it…
I am “watching what I eat” at the moment and that includes removing soda – particularly Diet Coke and Starbuck’s Frappuccinos from my diet. But I am on day 3 (really longer than that but less committed before that) and I have those crazy diet coke withdrawal headaches right now. We all know that soda, particularly diet soda is hazardous to our health. That wasn’t quite enough to stop me. I had stopped for 5 years but then in my infinite wisdom I started having one here or there then there you go – right down that slippery slope and drinking it more than any other beverage – especially water. These headaches are almost debilitating at moments. I can’t imagine how someone who is addicted to drugs manages withdrawals…
In case you need reminding:
1. Diet Coke actually causes weight gain. Regardless of its enticing zero calorie platform.
2. Diet Coke leads to osteoporosis
3. People who drink artificially sweetened beverages have a 61% higher risk of heart attack.
4. Diet Coke puts you at risk for metabolic syndrome
5. Diet Coke doubles your risk of decreased kidney function
Now let’s just say – if you were skeptical about this common information all over the internet – let me tell you my personal opinion.
1. Since resuming Diet Coke I have nothing but kidney problems – nonstop!
2. Since resuming Diet Coke my calcium and vitamin D levels continue to drop to dangerous lows even with supplementation.
3. Since resuming Diet Coke I have regained 2/3rds of the weight I lost in the 5 years I was’t drinking. In case you are a literal thinking person – that is exactly 36 pounds! Even though I work HARD everyday. For fun I walk, bike, swim, hike, hula hoop, jump-rope and more. I never sit down except at work and to write for The Stuff of Success.
4. Since resuming Diet Coke I have had to have one eye operated on for vision issues, the other will be operated on later this year and have muscle cramping many times a day – metabolic syndrome related? Good question…
5. All medical issues that I had for years prior to eliminating Diet Coke from my diet came right back in full force – stomach issues, heartburn, sleep disturbances and more.
So why do we drink it?
I am 100% sure something in their “proprietary” formula is getting the world addicted to it. Although I am picking on Diet Coke the same holds true for Diet Pepsi. The world seems to be made up with diet cola drinkers and in my experience – they are loyal to one or the other. I would sooner dehydrate to the point of being hospitalized before I drink Diet Pepsi.
And why am I stopping?
You would think it would be the medical reasons and it certainly should be. But it isn’t. I am participating at DietBet.com in a game with Hanna and Olivia from The Biggest Loser. But is it the diet that is making me stop – NOPE!
It is Chica… Chica is a dog that was found on the streets of California last week after suffering the most horrendous abuse I have ever seen to an animal. She has lacerations over her entire body – including her face and in between all her toes, burns, and a serious tumor hanging from her belly. She is being held at i.c.a.r.e. Dog Rescue and they are getting her all the medical treatment she needs and will place her in a foster home. I am playing DietBet for charity – for i.c.a.r.e to help pay Chica’s medical expenses. So is that DietCoke as important as winning (losing weight) and helping Chica have somewhat of a normal life after she is properly vetted? Definitely NOT.
Click Here for photos of Chica – I did not put them directly into this post because I do not want young children to see them – they are graphic. She was rescued by Eldad Hagar (who is quite the animal rescuer). To make donations to help Chica get appropriate medical care you can make a paypal donation to (note it as a gift) email@example.com.