First I had to find just the right frame – I wanted a wide rectangular frame and of course I wanted to pay next to nothing for it – so I searched and searched until I found this.
I have no interest in this photo. I took the paper off the back, removed the little nails and removed the cardboard, foam board mat, picture and glass – all of it went right into the dumpster. I was only interested in the frame.
At this point I have pretty much taken over the work benches in the basement, the driveway, the garage, a room for my supplies upstairs and the dining room. Too funny. I can condense when I need to but why when I don’t have to?
Prime the frame with Kilz…
While the primer is drying I cut out the back that I will glue to the frame. That is cut from a desk I took out of my teenage daughter’s room that was literally falling to pieces. As a desk it is useless, as parts – it is very useful. The piece I cut out took forever because in the middle of using my circular saw it started freaking out on me. Fearful for my life – or at least my legs – I resorted to a good old manual handsaw. Same results but it took alot longer to get there. I assume my circular saw needs a new blade – got at least ten years out of that one so I guess I can’t complain. Once I cut the board I sanded it and sprayed three coats of blackboard Rustoleum spray paint onto it.
While the chalkboard paint was drying I returned to the frame and started spraying that with color – my daughter chose the color and based on her selection I assume that means she wishes to have this for her room… Not too sure – We’ll see. She chose Valspar Mediteranean Blue.
Next, I glue the frame on top of the chalkboard. While that was drying I filled the chalkboard space with a tshirt (rag) to protect the chalkboard and sprayed the outside of the chalkboard – see photo for details. This photo was after one coat but I put three coats on.
Once it was all dry – it was ready to use.
For the moment – it is hung in my office at work.