Quick and Easy Blackout Curtains for Camper
My kids have never been late sleepers. As a result when we are camping, as soon as the kids are up – so are we. They really don’t understand the concept of time and they certainly don’t understand playing quietly until mommy and daddy get up. Bear in mind that we are not exactly late sleepers – I am only looking for 6:30am or so. Is that really too much to ask for??? Apparently, yes. We try letting them stay up very late (for them) at the campground but their internal roosters come to life as soon as the sun rises. Camper curtains are not usually functional.
My priority was to either to buy blackout eyelet curtains or making blackout curtains for the kids bunk house as well as for our room. But time was running short and I needed to get at least theirs made. I have the materials but took a short cut. If you have ever seen camper windows in a bunk house, they are pretty small. Theirs are only 18 inches tall and 30 inches wide.
The quick solution – I went to Target and bought one single panel of a blackout curtain that measured 48 inches wide and 84 inches tall.
See how they even market it as “give them a better night’s sleep” – it really should say give the moms and dads a better night’s sleep! Anyway, it is 84 inches tall – clearly way more than I need. Or is it?
I cut the top off (where there was already a hem to feed a rod through) at a 20 inch height allowing for me to do a double fold hem at the bottom of the 20 inches. Essentially this allows me to only sew one side – the top and sides are already sewn. Then I flipped the curtain upside down and even the bottom original hem was sewn to theoretically allow a rod to go through. I performed the same measurements and cuts on the bottom and sewed at the raw edge of the 20 inches – again a double sewn hem. I now have two fully finished curtains for their room for five minutes of my time (because of course I don’t waste time pinning or anything – it is all eyeballed). An added bonus is that I have enough of the center section left that if I wanted to make them each another panel when I have more time, I definitely can – I would just need to do a little more sewing but the sides are already finished even on the leftover piece. But for now they each have one more than large enough panel to cover their individual windows and I am looking forward to any extra minutes of sleep I can get.