Finally – Her Savings Paid Off!

1. Claire D. says:

What a nice looking bike! I always have gotten a men’s bike simply because I’ve been told by bike shops that my proportions are more like a guy than a girl (lovely). What that really means is that men tend to have shorter legs and a longer torso while girls have longer legs and a shorter torso. So the relationship between the seat, the pedals, and the handlebars is different on men’s vs women’s bikes. Only once did I have a bike shop employee tell me I was wrong. But then once she had me trying a women’s bike she was like, hmmm, maybe we should try a men’s bike instead. It took a lot of willpower not to say I told you so.

• Athena says:

I never put a great deal of effort into trying to figure it out. But my parents always bought me boys bikes rather than girls bikes. The first girls bike I ever owned, I purchased two years ago. Until then it has always been boys bikes. Therefore I am not at all surprised by her choice – and besides the boys bikes really are way cooler.

2. Erin K. says:

She must be so proud to be able to save up to buy that bike!! I love it!

• Athena says:

She is definitely proud. Now she wants to start saving for college. Gonna have to work on that one. Maybe teach her that saving 50/50 is okay. Otherwise she will never have an allowance again.

3. Dorothy Boucher says:

wow good for you little one, I remember growing up and doing the same thing, and sometimes the neighbors would ask me to help them out and give me a few dollars , i just saved and saved and saved, and then every 3 months I would just go shopping 😉 loved it and so proud that someone else is teaching there child to do just that save but more so earn it…. God BLess @tisonlyme143

• Athena says:

She only gets an allowance by earning it. Every chore (other than cleaning her room which is her responsibility) earns a quarter. She gets paid on Saturday and regardless of what she earns she allows herself to spend $1 each week. The rest she saves for something.

4. Sarah L says:

Glad you didn’t just go buy her the bike she wanted. Teaches her about saving and then buying.

5. Athena says:

I had planned to pay for half but then she got all the money on her own. Even better. She did not know I was considering paying half so her goal was always the full amount. She did even better than that – she was also able to purchase herself a matching helmet.

6. Sky Evans says:

This is so cute! I remember doing something like this.

7. Barrie says:

First off, I’m very impressive that she saved her own money! So cool and says a lot about you! Second, I love the bike! Is she going to learn to do tricks with it?

• Athena says:

She is my emergency room child. She is quite an extreme sport-ist. Yes she plans to do tricks with it and go to the bike park. She didn’t have it for ten minutes and was already trying to do a wheelie and spin around on her back pegs. We will end up at the ER for sure. But she has to learn somehow… I just need to teach her to be as safe about it in the process as possible.

8. I love your daughter’s name!!! It is so beautiful!!! You are raising an awesome child there!! Kids today shouldn’t have everything handed to them, they won’t appreciate it. Good for you!!