When I was first married I would make coconut macaroons all the time. They are very easy to make and I always considered them a comfort food. Over the years though I stopped making them and the only time I would eat them is when we happen to go to a restaurant that had them – which is very rare.
My kids, particularly my son, are very picky and never in a million years did I think they would like coconut macaroons. Guess I was totally wrong – can’t make these things fast enough.
I have a daughter that loves to cook so we have been playing around with so many recipes and today I introduced her to macaroons. It is a very easy recipe to make with only a handful of ingredients. Prep time takes less than 5 minutes and they cook for 30 minutes. There are other recipes out there that are much more elaborate but this is a very easy one and they are so tasty.
So how do you make these awesome treats? Very easily…
You will need:
1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1 14 ounce bag of sweetened shredded coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg whites
Dash of salt
- 1 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 14 ounce bag of sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- Dash of salt
- Mix the package of coconut with the can of condensed milk and vanilla. In a separate small bowl mix 2 egg whites with salt - then combine with the coconut mixture.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet (trust me on this) and drop the mixture by the teaspoon full onto the parchment paper approximately an inch apart.
- Bake for 30 minutes or so on 325 degrees until they are cooked through. They will have nice brown caps.
- Optional: Once they are cooled you can drizzle melted chocolate on top but we like them this way.