The enhancement of the global evolution of trends and technologies have brought us to a whole new level of digitization. The software development companies have been severely impacted by such upscale usher in the adoption of trends by the businesses. While software development is not such a small deal, the development companies often have a procedure and protocol that they follow to deliver what is expected by clients on time.
One such methodology in software development is Agile. While most software development companies prefer agile over other methodologies, scrum is mostly opted for faster project management. To start with on Scrum framework, it is basically a part of the agile movement that enhances the project management by incorporating meetings, team actions, consultations and working on priority projects to deliver it as soon as possible. Scrum methodology basically works on using incremental, iterative work sequences known as sprints.
Working Process of Scrum Methodology
1) A product backlog is created by the product owner making a prioritizing list
2) Team extracts a sprint backlog from the wish list during the sprint planning
3) The team usually have 2-3 weeks to complete the project, its action and access its progress
4) Scrum masters ensure that the team is focused towards its goals
5) At the end of the sprint, the project should be ready in a deliverable form, either to clients, customers or the involved stakeholders
6) The end is sprint reviewing and analyzing
7) The next sprint begins with the team choosing another backlog from the wishlist
8) The process repeats itself until the project is completed
Image Source: ScrumAlliance
Scrum Methodology Feature List
1) Scrum is composed of a short-fixed schedule of release cycles called sprints. These sprints address to rapidly changing development needs.
2) Scrum offers a repeating sequence of meetings, team events, and milestones.
3) Regular testing and implementation of new requirements to make sure that the work is released ready
Roles in Scrum
1) Product Owner – A product owner is the key stakeholders of the project and then comes the software development company. The key responsibility of the product owner is to have a defined vision of what they are doing, their goals and direct the scrum team to achieve the goal.
Roles and responsibilities of the product owner:
- Defines the feature list of the project
- Defines the release date and delivery of the project
- Ensures the profitability of the project
- Has the power to accept/reject the work item
2) Scrum Master – A scrum master is the one that manages and guides the team. They ensure that project procedures are followed, eradicate any possibilities of the inhibitions, and defense the team from any unwanted turbulence.
Roles and responsibilities of Scrum Master:
- Manages the team and ensure their productivity
- Coordinates with all the roles and functions of a team
- Invites to the daily scrum, sprint review and plan meetings for team discussions
- Ensure avoidance of external affairs
3) Scrum Team- Lastly, the scrum team, which is a self-organized, cross-functional team which is responsible for the analysis, implementation, design, testing, and other actions of the project. Scrum methodology believes in utilizing individual in the software development team in all possible way to complete the work in a sprint.
Roles and responsibilities of Scrum Team:
- The team includes developers, designers and sometimes testers, etc.
- A team is usually comprised of 5-9 members
- Team itself plan, organize and schedule their activities to achieve the goal
1) Plan meetings
The introductory step of the Scrum methodology is the sprint planning meeting. In this meeting, the entire Scrum team accumulates. With the support and collaboration of the Product Owner and Scrum Master, the team opts for a user story from the backlog and then brainstorming starts on it. Based on the final discussion and conclusion, the Scrum team analyzes the complexity of the story and decides if it should go as the priority job in the sprint.
2) Completing Work
Once decided, the next important thing for a team is to complete the work to make progress on the project. The team members in the custom software development company work on stories until they complete the process and then they move on to the next story.
3) Daily Scrum Meeting
Throughout the completion of the sprint cycle, every day the scrum team have a meeting for around maximum fifteen minutes to discuss the progress of the sprint. This is also known as the daily standup meeting.
The 3 things discussed in the meeting are:
- Yesterday’s task
- Today’s task
- Any hindrance in completing the work for the day
4) Sprint Review Meeting
On the completion of each sprint, the team with product manager and scrum master holds a Sprint Review Meeting. The meeting is conducted to validate working product progress to the Product Owner and others important. The meeting must be in the form of a live demonstration with the software development companies.
5) Retrospective Meeting
After the completion of the review of the project, a retrospective meeting occurs.
The group combines and discuss:
- The good points of the sprint
- The unwanted challenges in the sprint
- Lessons learned
- Action items that need attention
Wrapping up, there’s more to scrum that we can ever mention here. However, this is quite evident that more and more software development companies are depending on the Scrum framework to deliver the projects as soon as possible. Scrum promotes iterative process with development and testing concurrently like agile but by prioritizing the jobs and then acting upon them one by one. This has elevated the progress of project management for not only development companies but also the businesses.
Siya Carla is the Solution Consultant at Finoit Technologies, a leading custom software development company which provides unique web design and mobile app development services. By creating interactive mobile apps for 450+ customers across the globe, Finoit enjoys a great reputation as a prominent mobile app development company.