You may be familiar with the mommy makeover and the idea of combining multiple plastic surgical procedures in order to achieve full body contouring. But this idea is not limited to moms looking to regain their pre-baby figure. In fact, adding liposuction to a body contouring procedure, such as a tummy tuck or an arm lift, can maximize your body contouring results without having to have separate procedures and recovery.
How Does Liposuction Enhance Other Body Contouring Procedures?
When it comes to body contouring procedures, such as a tummy tuck, arm lift, thigh lift, lower body lift, and butt lift, excess fat pockets and loose skin often go hand-in-hand. For example, when you have a tummy tuck, your surgeon removes loose skin and repairs underlying muscle tissue, but you may still be left with pockets of fat that affect your final result. When you add liposuction, these fat pockets are removed, giving you a toned, tighter appearance. In addition to a tummy tuck, liposuction can be added to many different procedures, complementing all-over body contouring. These procedures can include:
- Tummy Tuck – Adding liposuction to a tummy tuck procedure allows you to address pockets of stubborn fat, often in areas such as love handles that are not addressed by a tummy tuck alone.
- Arm Lift – An arm lift addresses loose skin and eliminates bat wings that often develop with age or after significant weight loss. The removal of this skin produces a tighter, more defined appearance of the arms. Adding liposuction allows your surgeon to eliminate stubborn pockets of fat and better sculpt your arms, giving you a tighter, more defined appearance.
- Breast Augmentation – In breast augmentation, liposuction can be employed to extract fat from areas with excess, such as the thighs or abdomen, for grafting and enhancing the contours of the breasts, resulting in a more natural and appealing silhouette.
- Brazilian Butt Lift – In this procedure, your surgeon uses liposuction to remove fat from areas with excess. This fat is then purified and strategically re-injected into the buttocks. This dual-action approach achieves two goals simultaneously – slimming down one area while enhancing another.
- Thigh Lift – A thigh lift removes excess loose or saggy skin, often after substantial weight loss. When your surgeon combines liposuction to remove stubborn pockets of fat, the result is a more toned and defined upper leg profile.
- Lower Body Lift – After significant weight loss, it is not uncommon to have areas of loose skin and fat pockets in the lower body, including your hips, thighs, and buttocks. A lower body lift with added liposuction is ideal for both men and women looking to tighten up their lower body and highlight their weight loss success.
When to Consider Adding Liposuction?
So when should you consider adding liposuction to your body contouring procedure? If, in addition to loose or sagging skin, you have areas of stubborn fat that do not respond to diet or exercise, liposuction is likely to enhance your procedure results. For example, if you are having a tummy tuck, but have some stubborn love handles, adding lipo will address the love handles and give you a much more contoured appearance. This is true with other areas of the body, such as the arms, thighs and butt.
Is Adding Liposuction Safe?
Combining surgical procedures, which is common with a mommy makeover, is considered safe as long as the combination does not increase the time in the operating room too significantly. As with any surgical procedure, the more time under anesthesia, the higher the risk of postoperative complications. During your consultation, your surgeon will evaluate your overall health to determine if the combination procedure will help you achieve your body contouring goals without compromising your overall health.
Liposuction acts as a versatile tool that complements and augments the results of various body contouring procedures. Its ability to selectively target and remove stubborn fat deposits, coupled with its potential for grafting and reshaping, makes it an indispensable component of body contouring efforts. If you are considering any of these body contouring procedures and are curious if adding liposuction will enhance your results, consult with your surgeon. They will evaluate your current level of fat deposits and determine how liposuction may provide enhanced results when combined with your desired procedure.