What Do Special Needs Look Like To You?

1. maria @ closetohome says:

what a great story to share about special needs can find success too. I love that they have found something they enjoy and that they can call their own.

2. I think you made the best decision. When they face so much already in their lives, why take away that bright spot where they get to feel special. You just can’t. I have two boys on the spectrum and some say I am way too easy on them. The odds are already stacked against therm, I will not crush their spirits to appease other people. I just won’t.

3. Scott says:

It’s really ridiculous some of the things people say (with or without thinking). Makes me angry just reading about it!

4. Tina says:

As a parent of a child with special needs I can relate. You stand firm in what you know is best for your children. Please don’t let others tell you what you should be doing with your kids. I am glad they were able to attend the show.

5. Rebecca B says:

What an awesome mom!!

6. Alecia says:

Horses are amazing teachers. You learn a lot more than just how to stay on, that’s for sure

• Athena says:

I never really understood just how much they would learn – and not just in an academic sense. Horses have changed all of our lives and they will always be a part of it.

7. Amanda says:

I’m sure that riding horses is both therapeutic and a great lesson in responsibility too! I agree that certain things shouldn’t be used as punishment, unless the situation is dire. I’ve certainly never considered keeping my kids from their sport due to behavior. Sports, like horseback riding, are a commitment you can’t just not do- that’s part of teaching commitment!

• Athena says:

Very true. I remember getting into my share of mischief as a child/tween/teen but my parents never took sports from me. Plus in teams it is just not right to impact the entire team – it sends the wrong message.

8. They look so happy and proud on their horses! Only you know what is best for your children. I am sorry you get criticized so often.

9. Censie says:

People need to really open their eyes – it makes me so angry at the opinions and things people say sometimes. I love that you are advocating for your family. YOu know best. Keep doing what you are doing and I love seeing those happy faces!