5 Tips To Become A Better Blogger #BlogHer17 @Blogher #ad
As I think about these tips I’d like to share with you, the very first thing that comes to mind is Dr. Seuss with “Oh, The Places You’ll Go”! Blogging has taken me to places I had never dreamed of. When I started blogging I did everything I could to avoid having my photo taken and a video was absolutely out of the question. Now I have been on TV a few times and in the near future I will be on TV even more frequently. I never considered myself a writer – and after writing for five years I have come to realize that I definitely am a writer and I love it. I never thought I’d be an experienced traveler – and definitely not my children. But, blogging has taken us up and down the entire East Coast of the United States and very soon to the West Coast.
The life of a blogger is as exciting as you’d like it to be. I will say I could even have had more experiences but because my youngest two children have special needs, I sometimes have to keep our lives a little more tame and calm than I’d like.
In 5 years these are my tips for bloggers. These tips are not just tips to make you successful but they are also tips to help you keep your sanity and keep loving what you do. Let’s face it – if we plan to spend years doing anything we really want to enjoy it. That’s the whole point isn’t it? Love what you do!
- Keep a calendar – we all keep calendars for our children, spouses and pets. But what about you? For me my calendar must be fun. I purchased a book of adult coloring pages and that becomes my calendar and journal. I color the pictures then do all my important work outside of the main colored image. Other persons are really supper creative and have elaborate bullet journals. I love the concept of bullet journals but that creativity escapes me and when mine isn’t as pretty as I’d like it to be, I ditch that method. An adult coloring book allows me to have full pages of color that make me happy while also providing me plenty of space to document everything I need. This calendar should include editorial notes and deadlines, writing prompts, social sharing, solicitations and more.
- Always be working on a 90 day plan
- Post every day for 90 days
- Run a how to series
- Set a goal to grow your readers by a certain number and how do you plan to achieve that
- Pitch sellers consistently for 90 days
- Create an ebook (or 2 or 3) and plan to market that
- Learn a new skill and share with readers
- Identify 5 blogs that are in your niche, who are successful. Watch what they do – and learn how to create your own brand. Do not copy them – assess how they became as successful as they are. Possibly interview them. Learn from them.
- READ – Read every chance you get. Read for fun, read to grow. I always have at least two books going – right now I am reading “A Dog’s Purpose” by W. Bruce Cameron for fun and to grow I am reading “Pitch Anything” by Oren Klaff. If you don’t have time to read, then consider audio books.
- My top tip is to grow yourself! Be social – not just online but in person. Attend functions and network with other bloggers. There is nothing so awesome as really networking with people who understand what you do. There is a common language and a strong desire to help each other succeed. I highly recommend attending conferences and events.
BlogHer17 is the perfect opportunity to network. It is being held in Orlando Florida this year from June 22nd through June 24th. The event will include inspirational keynote speakers, educational sessions and the ability to network with other professionals who do what you do! This will be my first year attending. I try to make sure I attend events throughout the year to help me grow – for myself and for my readers. Most events I attend are more local so this will be incredibly exciting for me. So much to learn and enjoy. The purpose of BlogHer17 is to connect, inspire, learn, be moved and have fun.
Discounted tickets are available for Early Birds and rates are available for companies, bloggers and students. The event runs from 6/22 through 6/24 at Hilton Orlando, Bonnet Creek, 14100 Bonnet Creek Resort Lane, Orlando, FL 32821. The full conference schedule is available online and includes topics such as “live” videos through difference social media platforms, travel the world, storytelling, video skills, transforming your life after 40, navigating mental health issues online and offline, legal and tax issues, podcasting, the power of private Facebook groups, caregiving and self-care, personal branding, search engine algorithms, the part time revolutionary, modern love, self publishing, productivity and planning, build huge Facebook traffic, intimate writing and so many networking opportunities. The event includes social media stars, content creators, entrepreneurs, top brands, activists and fans. So many inspirational keynote speakers throughout the entire event.