Earlier or later, every user who works on the Mac can receive the message to inform them that the startup disk of the device is full. Of course, you need to know why it happens and discover the main steps on how to solve this problem. In our guide, we will provide you with several ways of getting rid of this issue easily. Do not let the computer ruin your day and mood!
First of all, let’s understand why this error occurs and how it affects your Mac. When there is no free space on the startup disk, your device loses its performance and it may work slower than usual. Keep in mind that the hard drive shouldn’t be loaded with files more than 85%, otherwise, it will affect the computer negatively.
What to Do if the Startup Disk is Full?
Now, let’s talk about fixing the problem with a full startup disk. You can analyse what causes your disk to be so full by viewing files and folders. Needless to say, if you’ve got the message about the full startup disk, it’s important to free up space immediately to make your device work fast again. There are several options on how you can do it:
- Remove files from the computer
- Save important documents on cloud storage or an external drive, and delete them on the computer
- Get a second internal drive on the Mac
Of course, the first two ways look easier than installing a new internal hard drive. But you can also install reliable software that will be helpful for optimizing space on the Mac’s hard drive. Follow the next tips that will help you with freeing up space and get the computer to work fast again.
- Remove files from the cache. With cache files, your computer can run apps more efficiently, but these files can eat up too much space on the drive. Remove them regularly to increase the device’s productivity. Do not worry, all the needed files will be recreated by the computer if it needs them again.
- Kill all the unnecessary apps. You will be surprised to see how many apps are saved on your computer without needs! Analyze the applications on the Mac and delete all the programs you don’t use.
- Make sure you save minimum photos. When you download photos from the last vacation to share with friends, they may stay on your device and take up a lot of space. We suggest saving pictures on cloud storage or use an external drive to keep big files well-organized without affecting Mac’s speed.
- Check up your folders with music, films, and downloads. These 3 folders can contain many huge files that eat up space. You need to check out each of them and delete all the unnecessary files or move them to the external drive or cloud storage.
- Take a look at your Trash folder. This isn’t a joke at all! If seriously, you’d be very surprised to see how many files are saved there. The thing is when you remove files from the Mac and they appear in the Trash folder, they are still taking up space on the computer. Make sure you are emptying this folder regularly.
It’s not so difficult to get rid of a startup disk full error using the effective hints above. Just remember you should clean up your device from unnecessary documents regularly. You can do it manually or use a special cleaner.