Headaches and How To Help Yourself
Oh the terrible headaches. No one has time for them and they can range from mild and annoying to completely debilitating. I do get headaches but in my case they are usually due to allergies or stress – the dreaded stress. I know how to manage them with the help of Sioux Falls Chiropractic Care but did you know there are so many ways to deal with headaches? I also take a medication for my arthritis that gives me headaches so I take that only when I am absolutely desperate. Is it a headache or a migraine? Migraines usually have the following (some or all) for a short period of time or for days:
- Sensitivity to sound and light
- Tingling in the limbs
- Nausea and vomiting
- Frequent yawning
- Craving for certain foods
- Stiffness in neck and shoulder
- Mood swings and depression
- Seeing auras
Some triggers for headaches and/or migraines are as follows:
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Strong sound, smell and light
- Lack of adequate sleep
- Extreme dieting
- Low blood sugar
- Hereditary triggers
Foods are often triggers – for me that is apples, some preservatives etc… Other major food triggers are:
- Yeasted bread
- Processed meats
- Aged cheese
- Artificial sweeteners
- Fermented foods
- Deep fried foods
- Sulfites found in dried foods
So one way to treat and/or prevent headaches and migraines is to pay attention to all these possibilities and how you feel afterwards or when you come in contact with them.
Tips to get relief from headaches:
- Stay properly hydrated at all times – it is important to make sure you drink plenty all day long.
- Get plenty of rest – our society is chronically sleep deprived.
- Exercise – you don’t need to be an aggressive exerciser. But to plan for some exercise on a daily basis so you aren’t living a sedentary lifestyle is important.
- Minimize stress whenever you can. If it is your job and on a regular basis – perhaps consider a career change. If it is certain family members – takes steps to care for you.
- Avoid eye strain with things like tablets and computers.
- Take magnesium – I believe every person needs to take this mineral daily for a whole host of reasons.
- Multivitamins – choose one tailored to your needs.
- Massage – very helpful to relieving headaches
- Chiropractor – many things in your body can cause a headache. A chiropractor can release those pressure points.
- …And the Best Essential Oils for Headaches
- If your headaches are due to menopause you should consider seeing a hormone specialist
What suggestions or tips do you have to relieve headaches and migraines?