What To Look For In A Plastic Surgeon
There are so many different reasons for needing or wanting a plastic surgeon. I used to think it was for persons who’s vanity got the best of them. But as I get older I have learned so much more and there are a whole host of reasons for plastic surgery.
Sure there are the facelifts etc… but those are only some of the needs for a plastic surgeon. I think of the child who is found in some natural disaster aftermath. As they get older they may need many surgeries and a plastic surgeon has the ability to help give them as normal a quality of life as possible. Or the burn victim? Or the person who becomes so dedicated to getting healthy – they lose 300 pounds. How can they have a decent quality of life with that much excess skin? Or anyone who has an accident that impacts their face – dog bites, burns, car accidents etc… As I get older I am incredibly thankful that there are plastic surgeons in this world. I have never needed one but as a mom and grandmother I am thankful that should the need arise, they are a resource. If anyone in my family are ever in a situation where a bit of plastic surgery will make their lives just a little bit easier – I am all for it.
So what should you look for in a plastic surgeon?
- They should be certified so you know they have the credentials to handle what you are looking for.
- Ask about their experience in exactly what you are looking for. For example – If you are looking for facial plastic surgery then perhaps someone like Farrior Facial Plastic Surgery since you know they have plenty of experience. You wouldn’t want someone who specializes in hands to work on your face.
- Did you get a referral? Do you know anyone who has used this surgeon? What was their experience?
- Do your homework and research whatever you can find. Google has alot to offer!
- What kind of followup care and how much do they offer? All too often a surgeon may have one followup visit and then that’s it. But alot can happen after the first followup which happens around 7-10 days.
- Compare the surgeons, offices, surgical facilities etc… I thought I did enough research for a physician one time – I showed up for my first appointment and the examination room also served as a storage room and cleaning closet. Yeah – that wasn’t happening. I never went back.
- What is the cost? Costs can vary widely between physicians, locations, specialties, experience, what insurance (if any) they take and if the procedure is covered by insurance.
Just like anything else – no one surgeon or facility is the same. They will all have some aspect that will make them the perfect, or not so perfect, fit for you. Do all your homework and you can feel confident that you have done all you can do and will be able to relax while you consider a procedure that could be life changing.