Baccarat is one of the well-known casino games. Some parallels could be drawn between baccarat and blackjack, but the games are intrinsically different. In land-based casinos, baccarat is considered to be a game of the elite and is played in closed-off areas where only a select few will take part in this glamorous gamble. It is more accessible when playing online – anyone can take part in online casino games. Nevertheless, very few players possess expert knowledge of baccarat.
If you are interested in playing baccarat, you should know that there are different versions to choose from – also try free bingo games no deposit. Each one of them has unique advantages and might be suitable for players with different styles. This article describes one of the best versions of baccarat. Chemin de Fer is one of the oldest and also one of the most popular types of baccarat. By reading the information below, you will know what to expect before playing this famous game of chance.
Chemin de Fer
This version of baccarat is thought to be where modern baccarat originated from. The French elite played Chemin de Fer as early as the 18th century.
In this game, the players take turns in being the “banker”, normally rotating the position clockwise. This is different from Punto Banco baccarat (the traditional, most common type of baccarat these days) where the bank position is always held by the “house” (the casino) and the players essentially compete against the house. In Chemin de Fer, players are pitted against each other rather than the casino.
Chemin de Fer is played with 6 decks of cards shuffled together. Here is a breakdown of how the game progresses:
- To begin the round, the banker places a bet that covers all the players’ bets.
- All players bet their chosen amounts of money with the maximum bet being equal to that of the banker.
- Two cards are dealt with the player with the highest bet, and two cards are dealt to the banker. If the banker or the player has a hand that equals 8 or 9 (this is a “natural” hand), the game ends, and whoever has a “natural” wins.
- If there are no “naturals”, the player will decide whether to take a third card (only if their hand is worth a 5).
- All initial hands are revealed.
- Finally, the banker decides whether to take a third card or not.
- All hands are compared and the winnings of the round are distributed.
Why choose Chemin de Fer?
This French casino classic is a good choice for a wide variety of players. Chemin de Fer can be summed up in a few key points:
- Both chance and skill play a role in this version of baccarat. Players that can count cards and calculate the odds have the biggest advantage.
- When playing online, there is a wide range of bets that the player can place. This makes Chemin de Fer a versatile game that both high-rollers and casual players can take part in.
- If the banker is a low-skill player that takes risks, this can mean a positive outcome for the other players. Therefore, Chemin de Fer can be a profitable game.
Many versions of baccarat can be considered “good” or profitable. However, Chemin de Fer is one of the few versions where players have a chance to play as bankers. This makes for exciting gameplay that requires more action from the players and can be more varied than other versions of baccarat.
We highly recommend you try out Chemin de Fer for yourself. Do not forget to gamble responsibly and do so on safe casino websites.